The TOEIC Listening and Reading test is a paper-and-pencil, multiple-choice assessment. There are two timed sections of 100 questions each. For more detailed information on test content, please see pages two and three of the TOEIC Listening and Reading Examinee Handbook (PDF).
Section I: Listening
Test takers listen to a variety of questions and short conversations recorded in English, then answer questions based on what they have heard (100 items total).
- Part 1: Photographs
- Part 2: Question-Response
- Part 3: Conversations
- Part 4: Short Talks
Section II: Reading
Test takers read a variety of materials and respond at their own pace (100 items total).
- Part 5: Incomplete Sentences
- Part 6: Error Recognition or Text Completion
- Part 7: Reading Comprehension
The test takes approximately 2½ hours, with:
- 45 minutes for Section I
- 75 minutes for Section II
- approximately 30 minutes to answer biographical questions